Main Categories

Thursday, June 25, 2015

John Wick and The Seventh Son Impressions

     I did a little walk to RedBox and came back with John Wick and Seventh Son. Both of them were "okay," but I would say John Wick was closer to being "good." Anyway, here are the movie posters and some of my thoughts. (This is meant to be for a discussion with people who have already seen the movies, so beware of ***spoilers*** if you haven't.)


John Wick

     I generally liked a lot of things about this movie, but the plot was too predictable for me to really get invested. I think the thing I liked most though was how John kept having these little polite conversations with people who obviously respected him. It felt unique enough, and made you want to root for John even more. I didn't really appreciate the oddball "artistic" subtitles; it just made me want to roll my eyes. 

Notes:
-WHAT THE HELL ARE THE ODDS that Viggo's son would happen to run into John Wick and set this whole thing into motion? Oh well. It's pretty silly, but I'm ok with it.
-The whole scene at the night club was pretty stellar, especially due to this song. I liked that the hand to hand combat was kind of slow, but honestly I couldn't tell if it was more realistic that way or if the actors simply didn't rehearse enough. Bonus points for including two of my favorite ladies from Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 
-Seriously, Adrianne Palicki is amazing and should have been Wonder Woman.
-Viggo is the dumbest crimelord ever for putting all his stuff in one spot; he only has himself to blame for losing it. I clearly saw data discs in there, he REALLY didn't make multiple copies of those???
- The scene where Ms Perkins gets executed was cool, but all I could think of was the very real danger of cross fire. 

Seventh Son

     This was almost on level with a made for TV fantasy movie, but the solid cast set it up just a few notches higher. Sadly, Julianne Moore felt like discount Maleficent, and Jeff Bridges was genuinely doing a damn good impression of Ian McKellen's Gandalf which was both awesome and awkward. Bonus points for Kit Harrington.

     Honestly, that's about all I can say about it. The plot was a lot of typical crap with typical characters. The only obvious WTF moment I can think of is how two novices like Tom and Alice are able to even stand up to the "best assassins," let alone actually beat any of them. ಠ_ಠ

No comments:

Post a Comment