Main Categories

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Taylor Swift: 1989

Get it!?

Artist: Taylor Swift
Album: 1989 (Target Exclusive Version)
Released: 10/27/14

Hit the jump for my impressions on each track :) (*indicates this is one of my favored tracks)


1. "Welcome to New York"
     The style of this song really reminds me of Robyn. It's about New York and how everything there is just so great. If you're rich and famous.

I like the structure of these lyrics:
Like any great love
It keeps you guessing
Like any real love
It’s ever changing
Like any true love
It drives you crazy


2. "Blank Space"
     This is a song about having a fling that will start out awesome but then you'll see what a psychotic mess Taylor Swift is. My views on it may be colored a bit by the music video.

These lyrics:
Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream
I like to sing "drag queen" instead of "daydream." :D

3. "Style" *
     I really like everything about this song. The intro reminds me of driving on a highway at night in the summer, and I really like the way that beat contrasts with the chorus.

Also, the way she sings "And I got that good girl faith and a tight little skiiiiirt." Unf. I really hope this song gets a video.

4. "Out of the Woods"

     The chorus to this song is catchy as hell! The heavy drumbeat is nice, and I like the way it tells a nostalgic little story.

5. "All You Had to Do Was Stay"

     I like the way "stay" is sung really high pitched in the chorus. It sort of makes you want to freeze up in a weird jazz hands pose every time.

6. "Shake It Off"

     Well this is the big first hit from the album. It's for a good reason too; it's a hell of a groove. The weird techno sax thing in the background is my favorite part. The part where she tells us "we could be getting down to this sick beat" is a little embarrassing though.

7. "I Wish You Would"

     This one tells a story of two lovers who had a fight and seem pretty sorry about it and now she wishes he would come back. I like the way the music shifts dramatically for the chorus.
   
8. "Bad Blood"

     This song is kind of annoying. My least favorite on the album, but not so bad that I would skip it. It's just kind of dull and repetitive.

9. "Wildest Dreams"

     Where track 1 is the "Robyn" song, this one is the "Lana Del Rey" song. It's pretty good though. But seriously, it's got that whole slow sultry Lana Del Rey thing going on.

10. "How You Get the Girl"

     This song is okay, but it's kind of boring. It's a Taylor Swift pop song though, so I wouldn't say it's forgettable, I just don't think it's very interesting.

11. "This Love" *

     This is a really nice, slow, emotional song. I like the recurring nautical imagery in the lyrics.
My favorite part: Been losing grip/Oh, sinking ships.

12. "I Know Places"

     This song really reminds me of "White Foxes" by Susanne Sundfør (though it isn't nearly as good as that song) But the piano tones and the mentioning of foxes and hunting is a bit uncanny. Even the way she holds the notes for "I" and "find" in the chorus is similar to how Susanne sings "white" in her song. Anyway, I really like the way she sings "Lose lips, sink ships, all the damn time." I mean I like the song, it's just really...suspicious. And I think it should have been moved somewhere else on the album so the two songs that mention sinking ships weren't right next to each other.

13. "Clean" *

     And this one sounds like an Imogen Heap song! But that's because it was a collaboration so that's right and good. I really love the part before the last chorus when Iomgen does her trademark harmony scream thing. Good stuff.

~Bonus tracks~

14. "Wonderland" *

     I typically like any song that tells a story and this one does so with references to Alice in Wonderland so that earns it some more points. Plus I just think the different phases of the song flow together really well, picking up and slowing down nicely.

Stand out lyrics:
Didn't they tell us don't rush into things
Didn't you flash your green eyes at me
Didn't you calm my fears with the cheshire cat's smile

15. "You Are in Love" *

     This is another slow and emotional song and I really like this one too.

I like the first person honesty of these lyrics:
You understand now why they lost their minds and fought the wars
And why I've spent my whole life trying to put it into words
(she's talking about love, duh)

     Well Taylor, congrats, I think you really nailed the serene feeling of true love in this song.

16. "New Romantics" *
When she says:
Cause baby I could build a castle
Out of all the bricks they threw at me
I kind of wish "bricks" was "shit" instead. But then she would be a building a shit castle and that is gross. It just sticks out in my head though. Oh well. The little "aaahaahaaa" effect right before that part is pretty cool.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment